Henryville QuebecFreepagesAncestrycom

Mardi 13 oct 2015

Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Please note there is a book on the market titled  ‘ Henryville , 175 ans de vie ‘ it is very well written  BUT IS ONLY in the French language. It is available at the City Hall in Henryville(as of August 2005 it cost $5.00)  . There are area maps, and descriptions of the houses along with photos accompanied by a  a list of their owners. this is a very nice addition to anyone’s library should they have roots in the Henryville area.Municipalit d’Henryville165, rue de l’gliseHenryville (Quebec)J0J 1E0450.299.2655450.299.2355 fax

PLEASE note  Roman Catholic records , mainly of French origin , are still located at the Church, and mostly likley can  be verified by writing the local  parish Priest
153 rue de l’Eglise , Henryville Quebec, J0J 1E0

 
 

St Georges d’ Henryville   Seigneurie de NoyanQuebec, Canada

The village received its name from the family name of Edme Henry, Notary Public,  Agent for the Seigneur of Noyan ,  Napier Christe Burton. At this time 1810-1815, there were  some 50 French Canadian settlers located in and around the village area 

                    Coin of St George  et St Thomas streets

                    Coin of St George et St Thomas streets

                     Coin of St George et  St Thomas streets

This  map of the village of St Georges de Henryville was made from what I can determine some time after 1870.On the map of  village it can be seen to have two more or less  distinct area   identified  - Villages des Anglais and Village des Canadiens. The English establishments ( Church & School ) at the easterly end and  the Canadien establishment ( Church & Convent ) on the westerly end. ( There is a note on the map stating that the placement of the older original house in maked with a white square )In order to situate the village according to the more recent road maps , using the Rutland Railroad line at the top part of the map as the starting point  which is the most westerly part of the village, it can be established that the road running west to east in almost a straight line, cutting the village in two was  the road running to the junction  of  the South River, and the Chambly ( Richelieu) River , and Isle Aux Noix.  If you follow the road east then it would have,  back when it was first built,  taken you to St Sebastien, but today connects to Highway 133, which now runs to St Sebastien..The first north-south road running  parallel to the railroad , runs from the turn off from  Highway 133, in front of the Catholic Church , crosses the road to Noyan and continues up over the hill, to join up with the road to Clarenceville. 
The main road from Clarenceville, coming from the south ended as can be seen on the map at the front door of the  English Church.  This road originates at the English Church in Clarenceville, crosses the South River about where Scotch Point was situated and runs north into Henryville.Outside the mapped area on the right side of your screen would be  Highway 133 , which takes you from Iberville, through Sabrevois, past Henryville, through St Sebastien, past Pike River, and St Armand, down to the border point of Phillipsbug.

Henryville  ListingThe Canada Directory 1851 ( page 113)A village situated in the Seigniory of Henryville, county of Rouville, C.E. (Canada East) – distance from Montreal 37 miles, usual stage fare 10s . Population about 1200

Beaulac
Joseph
Blacksmith
XXXXXXXXX
Gilligan
Patrick
Wheelwright

Bergeron
Baptiste
Blacksmith

Goodenow 
Edward
General storeSaw mill

Billings
Timothy
Saw mill

Herbert
L G
Doctor

Bullis & Brown

Tannery

Lanier
J M
General store

Burnier
Thomas
Carpenter

Lanoue
David
Innkeeper

Campbell
Charles
Doctor

Larivi?re
C
Baker

Campbell
Owen
General store

Kupien
Isidore
Saddler

Campbell
Patrick
General Store

Magnant
J
Baker

Chicoine
Jean
Blacksmith

Mellon
Peter
Tailor

C?te
John
Shoemaker

Morgan
Joseph
Wheelwright

Delisle
D B
Doctor

Parker
Samuel
Innkeeper

Demers
Edouard R
Notary Public

Parker
George W
Saddler

Demers
Narciasse
Inkeeper

Picard
Louis
Wheelwright

Demers 
Joseph
Butcher

Roy
Joseph
Shoemaker

Dougherty
Patrick
General store

St Aubin 
Rev T
Roman Catholic

Dyon
Louis
Wheelwright

Touin
Julien
Shoemaker

Fournier
Louis
Tanner

Tramble
Pierre
Blacksmith

Gariepy
Joseph
General Store

Wells
Horace
Postmaster

Property listing as per the  Cadastre Abrege de la   Seigneurie de Noyan , according the the 1854 Seigneurial Act and its amendments ( made 24 Jan 1861).

Lot Number
Registered to 1854
Area/acres
First Owner
Original date of concession

1 Part lot
Pierre Dandurand (jr)
1.38
To follow

1 & 2
Timothy Lague
1.92

3
Nazaire Lizotte

4
Joseph Allard
4.27

5
Terence McGinn
3.23

6       
E S Goodnow
4

7      
Isaac Hogle
4

8
Presbyterien Church
4

9 Part lot 
School Commission

9 Part lot
James  N Taylor
3

10 Part lot
Albert Chapman
3

10 Part lot
Jean Bapt Chicoine

11
Patrick McKernon
4

12
Jean Marie Bonneau
4

13
William Judson
4

14
James N Taylor
4

15
Succession I H Roe
2

16
Pierre Grard
3

17
Jacob Bonneau
4

18
Luc Fortin
3

19
Pierre Elie

20  Part lot
A L Demers

20 Part lot
Joseph Leiner

21
Alexis Simard
1.13

22 Part lot
E R Demers
+

22 Part lot
Joseph Picard
+

23 Part lot  
E R Demers

23 Part lot
Israel Demers

23 Part lot
Louise Fournier

23 Part lot
Joseph Demers
1

24 Part lot
Hubert Dupis

24 Part lot
Narcisse Demers
+

25   
Narcisse Demers
2+

26
Terence McGinn
3

27
E S Goodnow
3

28
Owen Campbell
4

29
Anglican Church
4

30
Samuel Parker
4

31
Alvin  C Sturtevant
4

32    Part lot
Alvin C Sturtevant
4

32 Part lot
Edward Rodden

33 Part lot
Andre Rocque
2

33 Part lot
Joseph Chicoine
2

34
Lemesurier & Company
4

35
Jean Marie Boneau
4

36
Toussaint Martin
4

37
Antoine Gosselin
4

38    
William Morgan
8

1818 owned by Seth Warner(2nd concession old survey)

39
Louis Brouillet

40 Part lot
Louis Dion
1

40 Part lot
Jacob Guertin
+

A    
Polly Ann Warner
+

Descriptive of HenryvilleMitchell & Co’s  Canada Classified Directory  1865-1866(pages 587-738)

Accountants

Dubrule,   A.Laford,     S

xxxx

Flour & Feed Dealers

Demers , A JDemers, A LLarocque, L HMacfie & Townsend

Agents (Collecting)

Tremblay,  FrancoisWarner Henry E

Flour & Grist Mills

Goodwin, E S

Auctionneers
Warner,     Henry E.

General Merchants
Demers & DaracheFortin , PierreGiard , RichardGoodnow & SturtevantL?iner, L MLamoureaux & Fr?resLecuyer , SirfoiMacfie & Townsend

Baliffs
Tremblay,  FrancoisWarner Heny E

Grocers
Demers, A RDubuile, H BDupuis, CDemers A LLecuyer, S

Blacksmiths
Brodeur,   JosephChicoine, Jean  B Chicoine,  AnselmeChicoine,  JosephDupuis,      HerbertHugron,      JosephMarcessault, MoisePilette,    AugustveTremblay,   Jules

Harness & Trunk Makers
Heil, L AParker George W

Boot and Shoe Makers
Brouiette,   LouisDub? ,   Jean  B Heil,          L ALemieux,   JosephLavarture,  CyrilleRatt?,        FredRivard,       PierreTremblay,  Jules

Hide & Leather Dealers
Bernier , ThomasFournier & Darache

Brick Manufacutres
Allard,  JosephAllard,  Julien

Hosiery Manufactures
Dandurand, MarguriteDemers, Mme EdouardFitzpatrick, Mme DLecuyer , Mme SRivard, Mlle Agnes

Butchers
Bonneau, HenriBonneau, Jerome

Hotels
Barry, MichaelDemers, NarcaisseTremblay, Francois

Carpenters & Builders
Bedford,   JosephBuin,        AntoineCazeau ,  JosephEllis ,        Robert GGamache, EHeil,    P Timoth?eTremblay , Michel

Justice of the Peace
Bissonette, A.Demers, A LFournier, LouisHogle, IsaacRoy, Lucien

Carriage & Waggon makers

Mason & Bricklayers
Devony, JamesLeclair, JosephLeclair, MauriceMcCarthy, DenisNicholson, DominiqueNicholson, PatrickPapineau, Felix

Cattle Dealers
Lormier, J M

Milliners
Dandurand, MarguriteDemers, Mme EdouardFitzpatrick, Mme DLecuyer , Mme SRivard, Mlle Agnes

Chemists & Druggists
Tass?, Doctor

Notaries Public
Demers, EdouardTrudeau, L H

China, Glass & Earthernware
Demers, A J Demers, A LMacfie & Townsend

Painters (House, Sign & Ornamental)
Berthiaume, FrancoisDupuis, EmondDesrochers, AzaireDion, LouisEllis, Robert G

Commission, Forwarding  & Shipping Merchants
Larocque, C H

Physicians & Surgeons
Hebert, Doctor L GTass?, Doctor R

Conveyancers
Demers, Edouard RTrudeau, L H

Sawmill Proprietors
Goodnow, E D

Dentists
Tass?, Doctor R

Sewing Machine Agents
Conner, Daniel

Dressmakers
Dandurand, MarguriteDemers, Mme EdLecuyer , Mme SRivard, Mlle Agnes

Tanners & Curriers
Bernier, ThomasFournier & Darche

Dry Goods Merchants
Demers, A J

Teachers of Schools & Academies
Lafond, Edouard

1871 Lovell’s Directory
Henryville A village situated on Riviere du Sud, in the Seigniories of Noyan and Sabrevois in the county and district of Iberville Distance form Montreal 40 miles , from Isle aux Noix 4 miles from Clarenceville 6 miles from Stanbridge 8 miles and from the Riviere Richelieu 3 miles. Access by railway from Montreal to Desrivieres a station of the Vermont Central railway and by stage from Desrivieres station to this place once a day , fare $2. Mail daily , population about 700

Also called St Georges de Henryville and Riviere du Sud

Allard
Joseph

X
Delisle
Alexis L
J.  P.  School Commissioner Commissioner of Small Causes & Store Owner
X
Hogle
Isaac
J. P. & Capitan of Milita
X
Poudet
Alphonse
Farmer

Allard
Jules
Bricklayer

Demers & Bonneau

Store keepers

Hugron
Joseph
Blacksmith

Ratt?
Norbert
Shoemaker

Barn?ge
Jean Bapte
Farmer

Demers
Edouard R
Notary Public , Commissioner for taking Affidavits

K?rouac
Louis
Farmer

Robert
Ludger
Carriage Maker

Beaudin
Pierre
Laborer

Demers
Israel
Store Keeper

Lacoutue
Pierre
Councillor

Roch
Andr?
Farmer

Benoit
George

Demers & Lemaire

Hotel keepers

Lafont
Edouard
Store Keeper

Roch
Joseph
Farmer

Berthiaume
Francois
Sexton

Demers
Narcisse
Demers & Lemaire

L?nier
Jean Marie
Trader

Roy
Jean B
Farmer

Berthiaume
Hilaire
Laborer

Denis
David
Joiner

Larocque
C Hector
Commission M?rchant

Roy
Lucien
MAYOR & President School Commission

Bissonett
Dolphin
Clerk

Desrochers
Azaire
Joiner

Larocque
Mrs Macer
widow Frs Xavier

Ryan
John
School Commissioner

Bonneau
Jacob
Farmer

Dour?
Joseph
Notary Student

Lauzon
T?l?sphore
Ensign of Militia

Savard
Charles
Painter

Bonneau
Jean Marie
Farmer

Dupuis
Edmond
Carriage Maker

Lauzon
Norbert
Joiner

Simard
Alexis
Son

Bonneau
J?r?mie
Laborer

Dupuis
Hubert
Blacksmith

Leclaire
Maurice
Mason

Simard
Alexis
Councillor

Bonneau
Henri
of Demers & Bonneau – Store Keeper

Dupuis
S. S.. 
Clerk

Lemaire
Louis
of Demers & Lemaire

Simard
Jean B
Farmer

Boucher
Charles
Farmer

Ellis
Robert G.
Councillor

Lemieux
Frs Xavier
Tanner

St Aubin
Toussaint
Roman Catholic Farther

Boucher
Joseph
Laborer

Fortin
Pierre
J. P. & School Commissioner

Lemieux
Joseph
Shoemaker

St Aubin
Jean B
Farmer

Brodeur
Joseph
Blacksmith

Gendreau
Antoine

Lestage
Andr?
Councillor

Stevenson
Miss
Schoolteacher

Brosseau
Issac

Gendreau
Julien
Farmer

Lockey
John E
Proprietor American House

Tass?
Roumulad
Doctor

Brosseau
M?nard
Laborer

Gervais
Solomon
Laborer

Magnan
Manuel
Laborer

Th?rien
Benjamin
Laborer

Bullock
John
J. P. 

Gigu?re
J. Ulric
Clerk

Mailloux
Edouard
Farmer

Timineur
Joseph
Farmer

Careau
Joseph
Carriage Maker

Girouard
Guillaume
Laborer

Mailloux
Miss C?lina
Dressmaker

Tremblay
Edouard
Blacksmith

Casavant
Antoine
Tanner

Girouard
Phidime
Blacksmith

Mastin
Henry B
Border at American House

Tremblay
Francois
Hotel Keeper

Chicoine
Joseph
Blacksmith

Giroux
Frs. Xavier
Shoemaker

Morin
Mrs Frs Xavier
Seamtress

Tremblay
Jules
Shoemaker

Comeau
Ambroise
Councillor

Goulet
Louis
Farmer

Patenaude
Antoine
Farmer

Trudeau
L H
Notary public*

Cot?
F. P.
Roman Catholic Father

H?bert
Jean B
Laborer

Patenaude
Moise
Farmer

Viel
Joseph
Blacksmith

Cyr
Michel
Farmer

Hill
Mrs Pierre
Tailoress

Picard
Mrs Suzanne
widow of Antoine

Warner
Henry E
Harnessmaker

Dagenais
Jean B
Farmer

Hill
Pierre
Joiner

Poisson
Marcel
Councillor

Warner
Mrs Esther
widow of Henry E

DIRECTORY LISTINGS FOR SURROUNDING TOWNS WHERE MANY OF THESE FAMILES HAD TIES MAY BE FOUND AT  :

Des Rivieres
St Sebastien
Sabervois
Venise
Noyan
Clarenceville

Records show a Hank Derick arriving in about 1811 and opening a lot adjacent to where the Warner bridge is located to day,  he built a saw mill at that point and used the force of the water to run the operation.
.

Warner’s bridge circa 20th century

.

A Mr. M M Bradsley opened and operated the first general store in the town

Records show that the home of Monsieur M A Poissant was built on the site that was originally the site of  the Parker Hotel, owned and operated by G  Parker.The grainery of Mix & Goodnow unfortunately burned down, and they decided to establish themselves elsewhereIn September , 1850  a cholera epidemic struck the area, causing grief to many families
Canadian families  of Henryville includedLuc Fortin  from Cap St Ignace who married Margaret Warner        Luc purchased to lot of land of Antoine & Jerome Tremblay in 1817
.Francois Xavier Darche  1819  ( according to a note received from Jacqueline Darche  a cholera epidemic  in the summer of 1849, took the lives of Fran?ois Xavier, his wife Th?ophile Charlotte Demers ( daughter of Fran?ois Demers & Charlotte Davignon), leaving a very large family in the hands of Fran?ois Xavier Darche (jr) . This son was to have opened a tannery with Mr Fournier, however  the place burned to the ground , before they managed to  open up. These two gentlemen, finally opened a General Store together,   which is  the  present location of  the hardware store.  In the 1860′s the family left Henryville to establish themselves in the Eastern Townsips) 
.Jean Baptiste Le CompteFerdinand LetourenauDamase BouchardJean Baptiste BeaudoinThomas Bernier  who married Julie LetourneauAntoine & Joseph Brosseau   of L’Acadie – St LucJean Baptise Simardla famile Demers
Irish families of Henryville includedJames McCarthy  1816 and his sons John , Daniel, Patrick( who moved to Boston) and a daughter           James McCarthy married Honra Ryan and produced 14 childrenThomas Leahy  -1819Williams Gorman – 1822John McCawliff    1824James MCCawliffJames MelavenMaurice Melavan John Ryan from CorkWilliam RyanPatrick Howrigan and his sons Patrick , John and ThomasJames DillionPatrick DeveryWilliam O’Connor
Scottish families of Henryville includedJames McGillvary  born 1790  died 1871         who married Majorie Campbell (1818)     thier daughter Majorie McGillvary 1823-1851 married Charles Campbell,  a cousinPeter Taylor           1782 -1844John McIntyre        1782- 1857Joseph Bower         1789- 1848John McCarther      1774- 1755Alex Johnson           1787 -1860Robert Gunn           1790 -1860Daniel Comer          1778- 1861William Morrison     1796- 1854James Miller             1761-1848Archibald KennedyDavid Miller                1784-1871
American  families in Henryville includedCol Samuel Mix    1756 – 29 Mar 1826Seth Warner         1777-  27 Oct 1854John Forbes           1785-  1850Issac Hogel              1798-1875 – Capt of militia HernyvilleJohn MosherJohn GoodnodHenry MorganRichard Morgan       married 1840 to Hermine BreakenridgeJohn MorganWilliam Morgan        married 1848 to Hester Marietta Warner
The widow of James Wright of the Royal Artillery  07/06/1818 , married John McGillvary on the 23/04/1882

According to records in 1838 the family of Francois Demers et Charlotte Davigon, established themselves in Henryville, along with the family’s of Fortin, Lemieux, Lecompte, Letourneau, Bernier, Leclair,  Ratte, Laflamme dit Quemeneur. ( a note received from Jacquelin Darche explained that the Laflamme came about beacause the first Quemeneur lived on the tip of  Ile D ‘Orleans and his responsibility was to keep a roaring fire going to warn the ship of the danger ( of the shoals , I would imagine)- this name she writes at times is also spelt  – Timeneur – .
Joseph Gariepy donated part of his land in 1854 for the building of  a convent , properly named the Covent de St Georges

McCarthy- family

Albert McCarthy died tragically in Vermont, he was also the founder of the  Rual Telephone Company of  Henryville and Mayor of Henryville in 1913

Masterson – family

Antidote – Bat Masterson – born in Henryville, Quebec, 1853   (A) , (B), (C) the Masterson family records as researched by William Marquis

Warner- family
November 27 1770
"Gov. Tyron of New York issued a proclamation, offering a reward of twenty pounds each, for the arrest of Ethan Allen, Seth Warner, Remember Baker, and some others."

May 11 1775
"Crown Point, now garrisoned by a sergeant and twelve men only, captured by [Seth] Warner and Capt. Remember Baker. The latter with his company had been summoned from the Winooski river settlement by Allen, and on the way had met and captured two boats bound for St. John’s with news of the capture of Ticonderoga."Colonel Seth Warner takes the British fort at Crown Point. Although the fort has been allowed to fall into disrepair by the British, the tiny garrison of a dozen men hand over another 100 or so cannon to the rebels

December 26, 1784"Col. Seth Warner died in his native parish of Woodbury (now Roxbury) Conn. His services in the patriot army resulted in early death. Connecticut has erected to his memory a substantial granite monument with this inscription on its north side: ‘Captor of Crown Point, Commander of the Green Mountain Boys in the repulse of Carlton at Longueil and in the Battle of Hunnarton and the associate of Stark, in the victory at Bennington.’

William Morgan of Montreal married Hester Warner  daughter of Seth  and inherits lot #38 before  1905 this  lot # 38 is sold to Leon Benard who married Sarah Warner daugther of Henry
Alcibiade Roy was married to Marie Rose Raymond, grand daughter of Henry Warner

Bernier -family

Thomas Alfred Bernier who was born in  Henryville, was the first Mayor of Saint Boniface, Manitoba. Mr Bernierheld many official position in what is called Manitoba today, he was assistant secretary of the provincial assemblyRegistar of the University of Manitoba, superindendant of Instruction and Senator of the Province of Manitoba

ROE – family

Henry Roe
ROE, Henry, Canadian educator, born in Henryville, Missisquoi County, Quebec, 22 February, 1829. He was educated at McGill college and Bishop’s college, and was graduated at the latter in 1854. He was ordained a priest in the Anglican church in 1852, became rector of St. Matthew’s church, Quebec. in 1855, and of St. Ann’s, Richmond, in 1868, and was appointed examining chaplain to the bishop of Quebec in 1864. He became professor of divinity in the University of Bishop’s college in 1873, and is now vice-principal and dean of the faculty of divinity in that institution. In 1879 he received the degree of D.D. from Bishop’s college. Dr. Roe has been for twenty-five years the Canadian correspondent of the London "Guardian." Besides sundry sermons, he has published " Pamphlet on Episcopal Veto" (1859) ; " Treatise on Purgatory, Transubstantiation, and the Mass" (1862) ; "Pamphlet on Clerical Studies" (1864) ; "Tract on the Place of Religious Giving in the Christian Economy" (1880) ; and "Pamphlet on the Place of Laymen in the Spiritual Work of the Church" (1887).

Dairy

view towards
St Sebastien

Public School

View from St Sebastien
off route 133

View from Sabrevois
off route 133

View from east

Unknown

Fire Hall

.
several farms in area

E-Mail
Index
Guestbook

.

Census Records |
Vital Records |
Family Trees & Communities |
Immigration Records |
Military Records

Directories & Member Lists |
Family & Local Histories |
Newspapers & Periodicals |
Court, Land & Probate |
Finding Aids

Henryville, Quebec – Freepages – Ancestry.com